NOTE: If you are easily offended by offensive things then please go somewhere else. I suggest pbskids.org or barbie.com, you wuss!


SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LISTEN TO MY HILARIOUS AND WILDLY OFFENSIVE PODCAST!

Friday, April 7, 2006

Random Arizona Stories - part two ...



... Sonic. God damn I missed Sonic. I missed their Slushies and their fries and their foot long chili cheese dogs and their hamburgers. I missed everything about Sonic. I didn't think I would miss their food so much but there are commercials for Sonic here in Sacramento ... and there's NO SONICS ANYWHERE, the fuckballs. God, when I lived with Debby there was a Sonic about fifteen minutes walk away. I'd have lunch there when I wasn't busy NOT going to college. And when the streets weren't too hot I'd walk the ferret and we'd eat fries and smoke and pig out on some awesome cheap food. So it meant a lot to take my family there. I swear, in Phoenix the Sonics are getting as out of control as the Walgreens. There are Sonics everywhere on every corner. And there was one right down the street (or should I say deserted rocky Queen Creek road) from where my parents lived. Emerald didn't want to eat there but eventually warmed up. My wife, though, she fell for Sonics like a kick to the balls. She loved the hell out of it. And even our youngest got her first taste of french toast sticks ...



... and even a bit of a kick ass Sonic hamburger. She loved it. We all do. For the love of god and allah and Ed Wood and Torgo the man-beast and little baby Jesus, make a Sonics Drive-In here in Sacramento. I promise I'll be your best friend.




So one of the things I really wanted to do was to drive down to Douglas, right on the border of Mexico, and visit my grandparents, Emerald and Isabela's great grandparents. My mom accompanied us, which meant that there was no way I could be the one driving, unless we wanted both Bela AND Tere to cry all the way to Dogs-ass. It took a good four hours drive to get there, then what felt like even longer to traverse the world's most mexican KFC-A&W. We made it to nana's and tata's place ok, though. It visually upset Natasha that my great grandparents obviously drooled all over my biological daughter and almost walked right past Emerald. It upset me, too, but we just ate our KFC and talked with tata. My grandfather is 96 years old (!!!!!) and he's still surprisingly conscious and hardcore. (If you want, I can tell you the "Tata's not dead" story, which really is an award winning story) My nana doesn't speak a lick of english, so it's touch and go with the two of us. Em and Natasha had fun and we even posed for a picture, four generations of Somoza's. Pretty awesome picture.




Notice that Isabela's pulling Tata's hair. Hard. And he's laughing about it.


So after that, Tere and her mom LITERALLY ran off with Isabela to show her off to all the other random mexican fogeys in town. If we had known they wouldn't be using a baby seat, we would have put our feet down, but we had nothing to do but hang out with tata. But he quickly took a nap, and at his age those can be lethal, so Tasha and Em and I sat on the porch. God, nana and tata's porch. I spent so much time there growing up. They really didn't let us watch cartoons or anything at their house when we were growing up and they had no vcr, either, and when the tv WAS on it was all spanish, so I spent just a lot of my time sitting on the rocking chair outside and looking at the flowers and watching the sky and listening to the silence - and there's no greater silence than one that comes from a small town. So I'd sit there. Almost like meditating. And to have the chance to share that with my wife and with Emerald, that meant so much to me, I can't explain it ...








This next video is for all my Phoenix people, the ones that are still trapped there and those of you who like me managed to escape. Those of you who once shopped at Valley West Mall and loves Peter Piper Pizza still, despite not eating there for a long, long time. Here's some exclusive 1977 video from channel five's "Wallace and Ladmo" show.


People who are REALLY from Phoenix know what this is ...



5 comments:

johnmc. said...

The closest 2 Sonics are in Woodland and Yuba City. I've hard that they're opening one in Natomas, but that's the standard answer to everything these days. "Ever seen the Taj Mahal?" "No, but I hear they're opening one in Natomas soon"

Reverend Steve said...

I don't know Sacramento too much. Are those far? I know that angry old ladies looking for books always come from Yuba City and Woodland ...

Anonymous said...

television advertisements in my area lie as well. the closed sonic is at least two hours away.

Gregorio said...

THAT WALLACE AND LADMO FOOTAGE IS AWESOME!!!!

my god, my heart palpitates.

Reverend Steve said...

Hell yeah, Greg!

You're Phoenix reppin' like me. I know you'd appreciate that.

On another video they're announcing Santa appearing at Los Arcos Mall and I almost shat myself.