NOTE: If you are easily offended by offensive things then please go somewhere else. I suggest pbskids.org or barbie.com, you wuss!


SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LISTEN TO MY HILARIOUS AND WILDLY OFFENSIVE PODCAST!

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Largest Storytime in the History of the Store ...

... my storytimes changes its popularity over and over again like a strange hyperactive bell curve. Sometime I'll have 30 kids at our saturday and hardly anyone on our tuesday reading and then sometimes my tuesday storytime will be massive and hardly anyone will be there on a saturday.


In the past two months it has switched to me having 20-30 kids on tuesday and our saturday storytimes having 4 to 10 kids. There was a small bit of talk on "What can we do to improve storytime, Steve?" which was slightly offensive seeing as how everyone who does not directly work in the children's department goes OUT OF THEIR WAY to NOT go into the children's department ... and now you want to try and help ME make storytimes better? Where's your help when I'm the only one in the kid's department for three days straight and I'm doing the work of three damn people, huh? Where are you when I really need you. Blind anger on my behalf, I know, but anger nonetheless.


But the tides have been slowly turning lately toward saturdays being my powerhouse once again and I knew, with the weekend numbers slowly on the increase, that today was going to be a make it or break it day for me.


So I went all out with this one. I special ordered a whole lot of books that we don't normally have to read. I thought up some great bits to do to play off the kids so that they get loud and interactive. I had some great snacks. I had a contest, too, that was awesome and funny and all my brainchild. I even had a special guest, too: Miffy the rabbit doing an in-store. And best of all ... Disney's Cars was playing right outside the door at the movie theater right next to us. I was all set. I was ready.


And damn did it ever pay off. The final estimates were 42 kids and 29 adults, what I believe to be the largest storytime in our store ever.


And afterwards our store manager, who was in the big-headed Miffy costume for all of 15-20 minutes, said that she needed a raise. I wanted to yell at her. I do this twice a week, over an hour every storytime, and afterwards my voice is shot, my body is sore, my head is dizzy, and I get paid shit, too. I get no extra play for this, for going above and beyond my job description twice a week, but I do it anyway because there's nothing like the happiness I get from entertaining these kids. It's amazing.


Here's some pics ...






... note how Miffy's huge head bangs on the archway ...



... little kid crying when Miffy gestures for a hug ...



... and a cool group photo with some of the the kids at the end.



3 comments:

jessecoombs said...

Yeah, she needs money to be there, but you LIVE for it. You are by far, the luckier one.

Marisa said...

In all fairness Steve, I put the head on and it was ridiculously heavy- keep in mind I've worn almost all the costumes. If she kept it on for twenty minutes, someone should at least give the poor woman a massage.

Reverend Steve said...

If you'll do the massage to her, I'll totally pay you to watch.