NOTE: If you are easily offended by offensive things then please go somewhere else. I suggest pbskids.org or barbie.com, you wuss!


SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LISTEN TO MY HILARIOUS AND WILDLY OFFENSIVE PODCAST!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reflections On A Decade Of Bookselling ...



I got my ten year pin yesterday commemorating over a decade of my employment with the corporate bookstore chain that I work for. I have been working for them for ten years, for ten whole freaking years.


I can't believe it's been that long.


A little over ten years ago I was a drinking, smoking, energetic machine of a young twentysomething guy living in Phoenix, Arizona. I had just left my hideous job at Hollywood Video where I would regularly be forced to work eight, nine, even TEN HOUR SHIFTS with no break, no lunch, and barely even a bathroom break. I hated that job so much and was treated so unfairly and illegally that when I found out that the company was shutting down all their locations, I cried silent tears for the revenge that would never be mine.


Pay no attention to the endless number of videos at my house with a Hollywood Video sticker on the side.


And I wonder if Kendra still has that free VCR I gave her?


I didn't really think about Barnes and Noble as being something long term at first. I just hated Hollywood Video, may they all rot in hell, and assumed that anything would be better than that rotting craphole of a video store.


When they gave me my pin they smiled and laughed and said sweet sentiments. They tried to make it a big deal. But I couldn't help but feel sad about the whole affair.


I feel as if I just blinked and a whole decade just shot by.

No comments: