NOTE: If you are easily offended by offensive things then please go somewhere else. I suggest pbskids.org or barbie.com, you wuss!


SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LISTEN TO MY HILARIOUS AND WILDLY OFFENSIVE PODCAST!

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My New "Daughter" ...

I have a new family member, a brand new 12 year old daughter.

I'm not exactly sure how this came about, but I'm pretty happy with this interesting and surprising set of circumstances.

Lets walk ourselves through this, shall we?

My oldest daughter found herself a close friend from school named Amber. Same age. She was raised Mormon, which means that she isn't like most of the other kids in her class, which means Amber isn't smoking and drinking and acting all ghetto. She's a good girl and they are really good friends. They're crazy close.

Then, in a very happy coincidence, Amber and her "family" ended up moving to a house that's right here on our street. Her new home is literally just a few houses down from our own place. So pretty soon Amber was spending a large amount of time over here at our house.

Did you see how I mentioned Amber's "family" with finger quotes? There's a reason for that.

See, Amber comes from a prrrrrretty broken home. I don't know where her mom is. Her father is fairly elderly and doesn't get around too much. They don't have a car. She has a brother who is much older and seems to come and go as he pleases. I don't think he even lives with them. and that's it. She was living with her cousins but they left to go live with someone in Dallas. So it's usually just Amber and her father living in her home.

Nothing against Amber's dad, but the man doesn't really seem to be a fun, outgoing, hands on kind of a dad like me. He seems like he's the type of father who never says "I love you" and can barely cook and leaves the house a bit of a mess. And since our house is always full of love and music and happiness and food, then of course Amber's always at our house.

But at some point this past few weeks it became commonplace for her to sleep over here on weekdays. Natasha and I didn't have a problem with it as long as it was ok with her dad. And, surprisingly, Amber's dad was absolutely fine with her staying here, which personally makes me deeply weary of Amber's household. I mean, Amber is essentially living with us now. And her dad is ok with that? It worries me. It really does. What kind of a household does Amber live in where the father is perfectly fine with her NOT ever being home?

But Amber is a good girl. She's smart and funny and nerdy and she talks too much but she has a heart of gold and if her dad doesn't want her around and doesn't give a shit of she stays or leaves (?!?!?) then of course my wife and I are glad to have her around. In fact, she has become such a fixture of our household that we've gotten in the habit of calling her our other daughter lately. She's been staying here with us for the last four days in a row now. She's prrrrretty much a part of our family.

I worry, though. I hope we're doing the right thing. I'd like to think that we're doing a good deed here by letting Amber stay with us.

I hope.

No comments: