NOTE: If you are easily offended by offensive things then please go somewhere else. I suggest pbskids.org or barbie.com, you wuss!


SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LISTEN TO MY HILARIOUS AND WILDLY OFFENSIVE PODCAST!

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Rubber Soul: The ULTIMATE Breakup Album ...

Rubber Soul was the sixth album by The Beatles. It was recorded in four weeks and, unlike the albums that before it, it was recorded during a specific period of time and not haphazardly rushed in between tour dates or movies or junk. It is often listed as one of the greatest albums in music history.

It is also the world's greatest and most upbeat breakup album ever released.

Lets break it down ...

1. "Drive My Car" McCartney with Lennon 2:25

This is about a conceited woman who hires a driver for her before even owning a car. Typical chick.

2. "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" Lennon with McCartney 2:01

Woman toys with your emotions so you burn her house down. Cleansing fire. Good times.

3. "You Won't See Me" McCartney 3:18

WIKIPEDIA SEZ: "The song is about a crisis in McCartney's relationship with his then-girlfriend Jane Asher. She was rejecting him by not returning phone calls and ignoring him — for once, he was in a vulnerable position. The more biting tone of the song marks a change away from his earlier, happier love songs." Sooooo it's about a bitch.

4. "Nowhere Man" Lennon with McCartney and Harrison 2:40

I have dated MAAAAAANY women that have left me feeling like this. Hell, I feel like this NOW!

5. "Think for Yourself" (George Harrison) Harrison 2:16

This song is utterly epic. Now, granted, the song is prrrobably about former Beatles drummer Pete Best and his libel suit, but in my opinion this is the absolute best song ever written for a man whose girlfriend is cheating in him. The lines come fast and furious: "you're telling all those lies about the good things that we can have if we close our eyes," "I left you far behind, the ruins of the life that you have in mind" and "I know your mind's made up, you're gonna cause more misery." This is the EPICENTER of Rubber Soul as breakup album. In fact, I'm shocked that more people don't rock this after a breakup and after some woman has once again broken your heart.

6. "The Word" Lennon and McCartney with Harrison 2:41

This is the rebound. This is the one night stand. This is the forcing yourself to get out there and meet people. This is the thrilling rush of a new relationship. It's a brief moment of happiness in a fairly dark album. Enjoy the fleeting lust while you can. You deserve it.

7. "Michelle" McCartney 2:33

I had a Michelle in high school. I was in love with her and she was in love with a handful of my friends. This song is a longing of times gone by and women gone by. Sad remembrances.

Side two
1. "What Goes On" (Lennon–McCartney–Richard Starkey) Starr 2:47

This is another bold breakup song a la Think For Yourself and it would easily be as awesome as that song were it not a cheesy country rock song sung by freaking Ringo. Lyrics like "You are tearing me apart/When you treat me so unkind/What goes on in your mind?" perfectly drves home my theory that this song is alllllll about how horrible women are.

2. "Girl" Lennon 2:30

Unrequited love, that pain you have in your chest from loving someone and wanting to be with them and thinking they're your soulmate but having her hate your guts. The line "Was she told when she was young that pain would lead to pleasure" is a perfect example of the majority of my relationships with women, unfortunately.

3. "I'm Looking Through You" McCartney 2:23

Another great breakup, a classic, with lyrics like "You don't look different, but you have changed" and "love has a nasty habit of disappearing overnight."

4. "In My Life" Lennon and McCartney 2:24

This is a slight break in the breakup album, like how the previous song The Word was. This song is a touching look back at where you've been before and where you are now.

5. "Wait" Lennon and McCartney 2:12

According to wikipedia: "The lyrics describe the singer's anxieties about his relationship with his girlfriend while he is away." Man! I hear that!

6. "If I Needed Someone" (Harrison) Harrison 2:20

It sounds like a positive love song about wanting to be with someone, sure, but the important word here is that IF. IF I need someone then you're the one that I would be with, IF, but that if means that you don't need someone else to dictate who you are and what you do.

7. "Run for Your Life" Lennon 2:18

This is the final epic song of the album and it is the greatest. The line "Well I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man" is probably the single greatest breakup line ever written.

I will be rocking this song today.

And if your heart is utterly broken then you should rock it, too.

1 comment:

Tor Hershman said...

Pope Of Woodism, I'd also suggest this Beatles' buddy song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRyQ-SE2ASE
I may be out shakin' it publically this eve.