NOTE: If you are easily offended by offensive things then please go somewhere else. I suggest pbskids.org or barbie.com, you wuss!


SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LISTEN TO MY HILARIOUS AND WILDLY OFFENSIVE PODCAST!

Sunday, August 17, 2014

The World's Best Cover Songs (Part 2) ...

Welcome back, gang!

This, my invisible internet friends, is part two of an ongoing series of posts that I started doing a few days ago. Good stuff. Man, my blog's really been on fire recently, right? Anyway, this is going to be an ongoing list of kick ass free music, each free song I post will be an awesome ass cover song that I fucking love.

Lets do this ...

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Havannah Affair
This. Is. AMAZING! It's a song from the debut album of The Ramones. It's your typical two minute long little rocking Ramones song, but this cover is done by the Red Hot Chili Peppers for the Ramones compilation, We're a Happy Family: A Tribute to Ramones. The band performed the song heavily on their tours when they did that, and why not? They took a very Ramones sounding Ramones song and somehow turned it into a slow grooving RHCP song. It's great.

Bad Religion: A Few Of My Favorite Things
Man, Bad Religion is pretty heavy. I have a hard time getting into them, especially since I'm in my late thirties now. I mean, I'm just not the angry young man that I used to be. They're a punk band and they've been around since 1979, can you believe that? Anyway, this is another good example of a perfect cover song. They took the stupidest song and turned it into something that kicks ass. I love it. Good stuff.

Cake: War Pigs
I lived in Sacramento, California for about a decade. During that time I learned two things: that the band Cake was from Sacramento, California and that they were from there SO MUCH that they would NEVER PLAY Sacramento ever again. That's pretty awesome, I think. They wanted to escape their hometown and they did and they never, ever went back. THAT, my friends, won my respect. They're a petty great band with some pretty great songs, including a number of amazing covers. This is a great cover right here. The original is a hard rocking song, so Cake turns it completely into a Cake-sounding song and it's pretty cool. You'll probably like it.

The Rolling Stones: Under The Boardwalk
I know The Stones. I love their music and I consider myself a big, big fan. But I really know nothing about their early stuff. So I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the majority of their first few albums were chock full of pretty great cover songs of old classics, including this amazing version of Under the Boardwalk. I personally hate that song, but a cover can really make you love a song, even one you hate that sucks ass.

Marilyn Manson: This Is Halloween
I never liked Marilyn Manson. There. I said it. I never really liked Marilyn Manson. Sorry, 90's America. He can barely sing, plus his dark, moody image just seemed like peacocking to me ...


... but man, this song? It's fucking amazing! I really like the movie A Nightmare Before Christmas and I really like this song. So having a hardcore, dark, moody version of this awesome song is just brilliant. I love it. It's amazing.

Alkaline Trio: Moving Right Along
When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time alone. The white neighborhood I was lived in was filled with kids who weren't allowed to play with me and my older brother was juuuuuuuuust old enough to fucking hate my guts and make my life a living hell, so I spent a lot of time alone. My only real friend was television and movies. And I had a special place in my heart for The Muppet Show and The Muppet Movie. Cut to a decade or two ago. I'm living in California and a ton of my friends are OBSESSED with Alkaline Trio. I tried to get into them. I liked them a bit, I guess, but not a lot. I just didn't care. They were too popular in my own universe for me to like them in turn. But then ... man, then I found THIS AMAZING SONG! It's a loud, angry, kick ass version of Moving Right Along. How amazing is this? I love it! It's on my phone. I still rock out to it. It's my sad childhood and my awesome adulthood coming together in a cathartic ball of hard rock.

Juliana Hatfield: Needle In The Hay
This is an amazing cover song that came from I Saved Latin! A Tribute to Wes Anderson, which is an INCRRRRREDIBLE compilation album by American Laundromat Records. It was just released a few months ago and it is pure brilliance! The album's a tribute compilation to director Wes Anderson, my own personal obsession. It's filled with brilliant, beautiful indie rock versions of the songs from his various film soundtracks. The whole album is utterly amazing and this will NOT be the only song from there. Seriously, go out and buy this damn album. It's amazing!

The Groovie Ghoulies: The Time Warp
If you've read my previous cover song post, or if you just know me because I'm awesome and a huge sharer, then you know how much I looooooooved the band The Groovie Ghoulies. I mean, one of their songs is based on one of Criswell's predictions, for shit's sake. And this is an awesome cover of a classic Rocky Horror song. It's a classic song you know but turned into another rocking Groovie Ghoulies song. It's great.

There you go. More free music for your punk ass.

Stay tuned. More free music to come ...

No comments: