NOTE: If you are easily offended by offensive things then please go somewhere else. I suggest pbskids.org or barbie.com, you wuss!


SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LISTEN TO MY HILARIOUS AND WILDLY OFFENSIVE PODCAST!

Thursday, September 25, 2014

The World's Best Cover Songs (Part 3) ...

Welcome back, invisible friends and neighbors!

This, my good friends, is part three of an ongoing series of posts that I started doing last month. It's really good stuff. My blog has really been on fire these past few weeks, right? My funny Firefly posts, a few free movies, free music, and that last post I did about "elderly water aerobics" was prrrrrrretty awesome.

Anyway, this is going to be an ongoing list of free music, each song being an awesome ass cover song that I absolutely fucking love. Part one was good and part two was awesome, so here's part three.

Ready? Ok. Lets do this ...

Ruth's Hat: Super Heroes

Springman Records was a record company at the beginning of this century that, as far as I could tell, was run by a small handful of high school and college kids. They released some really good punk albums and usually they'd be fairly inexpensive. And one of the ones they released was called "The Rocky Horror Punk Rock Show" and it was an awesome. Really awesome. Punk cover songs of classic RHPC songs. I got that cd in about 2005 and I still listen to it constantly. This one stands out as being particularly awesome.

Boston Boys: Welcome to Paradise

This one is amazing, a real reinvention. The Boston Boys play a sort of bluegrass roots rock sound and their music is all very good, almost an Americana sort of sound. And when they turn that sound to a classic Green Day song, the results are absolutely amazing. I have always liked the original song, I guess, but hearing this version of the song really makes me love the original even more. And that's a good sign of a wonderful cover song, right?

Forever Plaid: Perfidia

I'm not exactly sure of this is considered a cover song or not but I;m including it here nonetheless. This is from a musical called Forever Plaid and it's about a fifties quartet of teenage singers who die but are given a chance to come back for one big performance. It features some really amazing classic songs and they do them all in an original style. This song here is the second musical number that they do in the show and it's super cute, especially when they start singing in spanish. I estimate that I have seen this play about eight or nine times live. In fact, both of my daughters were varying levels of obsessed with this soundtrack for a while and we ever took them to go see it in San Francisco once. This play is a major part of my family. Fyi.

Me First and the Gimme-Gimmes: East Bound and Down

Wow. This song. Wow. So 'East Bound and Down' was written and recorded by Jerry Reed, the personification of the truck driving 1970s, for the soundtrack to the film Smokey and the Bandit. The song was released in August 1977 as a single and spent sixteen weeks on the U.S. country music charts, reaching a peak of #2. It was huge. And I absolutely hate it. I hear this song and think back to an embarrassing time in our country's history when truck driving was a "fad" like pet rocks or disco music. I hate hate hate hate HATE this song. But when the world's greatest cover band does a punk rock version of it then of course they make it better and OF COURSE it's amazing.

The Ramones: Surfin' Bird

Family Guy reference aside, everyone should know by now that "Surfin' Bird" by The Trashmen is one of the greatest songs of all time ...

Surfin Bird - Saga por pedrocasanova83 no Videolog.tv.

It was released in 1963 and reached No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100. It is a combination of two R&B hits by The Rivingtons: "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" and "The Bird's the Word". It's a great song. It was one of my personal favorite songs when I was a child. I was all about Dr. Demento, which should come as a surprise to no one. Anyway, The Ramones did some truly awesome covers and this is another one of their bests.

The Hullabahoos (Pitch Perfect): The Final Countdown

Wow, this is a very pop culture heavy list this time. Wow. Well, this is a song by the Swedish band Europe, released in 1986. Europe was the king of 1980s cheese and this song was one of their cheesiest bits. This version, however, is an a cappella version recorded by The Hullabahoos. They are a student-run, all-male a cappella group at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. The group was founded in 1987 ad they are considered one of the greatest a cappella groups of all time. They are one of a handful of collegiate a cappella groups that were featured in the non-fiction novel "Pitch Perfect" which was then turned int a fictionalized motion picture of the same name and in the film The Hullabahoos sing this song. Didja follow all that? Good. This song is awesome.

Freelance Whales: Let Her Dance

This song is from a Wes Anderson tribute album comprised entirely of covers of songs from his movies. This is from The Fantastic Mr. Fox. And since I have kids, this means that this adorable stop motion film is easily the one film of his that I watch the most. Maxwell loves this movie. He really does. This song ends the film perfectly. I hear this and I think of a clever stop motion fox dancing in an empty supermarket. And this is a pretty awesome cover version of that. Hope you like it.

Richard Cheese: Rock You Like A Hurricane

I'm going to end this with my main man, Mr. Richard Cheese. He is the absolute best lounge singer of all time and you should go to his website right now and buy millions of dollars of stuff. Anyway, I never really liked this song, but when it gets cheesed up then of course it's going to knock it out of the park.

Hope you enjoyed yourself.

I'll put more music up here later, so stay tuned.

No comments: