NOTE: If you are easily offended by offensive things then please go somewhere else. I suggest pbskids.org or barbie.com, you wuss!


SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO LISTEN TO MY HILARIOUS AND WILDLY OFFENSIVE PODCAST!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

The Story Of Our New Baby ...

So here's the story of our brand new baby girl. I'm writing this on a cramped rocking chair in a fairly nice little hospital room and I haven't gotten the best sleep. Sorry if the grammar and the spelling isn't perfect. BUT! If you've read this blog before then you know it NEVER is.

Things were tense for our family this past week. We reached the two week part of this overdue baby. My wife was miserable. I was at the very height of nervousness. And every conversation with someone outside of our circle went the same way. TWO WEEKS?! THAT'S CRAZY! WELL, HAVE YOU TRIED (blank)?! The same dance over and over again. And I'm a paranoid enough creature to begin with without everyone I know putting their two cents in.

Hell, one person actually said that a friend of a friend waited too long to go into labor and the baby DIED! HOW THE HELL DOES THAT HELP? What the hell, recycling guy? Not freaking cool!

My wife started feeling some very low labor pains around Thursday evening. So, to push things along, my wife decided that what was needed was for all of us to go out for a nice, biiiig dinner at Chili's followed by some good laps walking around our cavernous local Wallymarts.

By the time we got home that night my wife was in what we thought was active labor.

I thought it could be soon, the super go baby time, so I stayed up until almost 1am that Thursday. In retrospect, my thinking that the baby might possibly be on its way soonishness was foolishness. Positive thinking, I guess. Eventually my wife sent me to bed, knowing that my stubbornness would have led me to staying up allllllllllll night if she would have let me.

My wife, my poor poor wife, stayed up all night in pain. She woke me up at 445am on Friday to help her because she was in so much pain. So I woke up and stayed up with her, helping her out as much as I could until I aaaaabsoluely had to had to HAD TO go to work because we're running on a prrrrrretty thin skeleton crew and there's NO ONE that can cover for me. So I went to work.

Work was hell. It was crazy busy. There was way too much for me to do. Customers were extremely rude. People just didn't care AT ALL that my wife was trying to give birth that day because they were too darn busy with their own busy, hellish lives. So needless to say I was stressed to the max. I couldn't have been more stressed.

When I got home my wife was still in labor. Poor woman. She tried. She gave it her all. She tried and tried and tried. By the time I got back from work she was absolutely exhausted and starving and just flat out suffering. Lots of it.

So by 8pm we were at the hospital.

After an easy, breezy c-section that, unlike other c-sections I was privy to did NOT feature hideous Saw-looking peeks inside my wife's stomach cavity, our beautiful baby Eleanor was born. It was all quick, too. About an hour after arriving at the hospital I had a baby holding onto my finger with a strong, vise like grip.

She was born at 9:09 pm which is a little less than an hour away from the "dream vision" timeframe that my wife had that told her when the baby would be born. But that's a different story. Eleanor was a whopping 10 lbs 3 Oz and a very lengthy 21 inches long, both of those stats probably being a result of our baby being over two weeks overdue. She had a long time to cook in there, is what I'm saying. She also has some beautiful dark blue eyes that my wife is reeeeeeeally hoping she gets to keep. We keep cranking out vaguely brownish babies. Natasha really wished for some blue eyes and a bit of blonde hair on this one.

So "the gang" showed up right about at the time of her birth. Maxwell and Bela were EXHAUSTED but they both got a chance to hold their baby sister. Visitors kept pouring in until about 1am. I slept that Friday night passed out on an uncomfortable couch next to my wife's bed and despite the utter uncomfortability-ishness of that damn couch I slept like the dead, interspersed with slight moments of wakefulness to change some very small diapers.

We have a new baby. And she's adorable.

Saturday was full of naps, full of eating, and full of visits with friends and family members. I saw Moonrise Kingdom on my phone. I read a little, this old sci-fi book I love. And I got to know a bevy of nice white female nurses. And I got to feel that great sensation that you get when a baby falls asleep on your chest. I missed that feeling.

Sunday is going to be busier. I have errands to run, places to go, dogs to feed and all that stuff. But the important thing is that I'm here right now with my wife and my daughter in this room. It's like a little time bubble, being here in this fairly new and surprisingly empty hospital. Hardly any patients. No loud noises. No worries. No work for me to run off to. It's like a small center of the universe right here. It's this adorable baby, my wife and I, right here in this room and the beautiful harmony inside of it.

I close at work on Monday.

Thankfully that seems so far away from now.

No comments: